Last week we looked at where South Dakota ranked in terms of various COVID-19 indicators. I thought it would be interesting and informative to see where the USA is internationally. In general, the USA ranks alongside more of the under-developed countries than it does the more developed countries. I’ve given numbers for Germany, Norway, and Britain for comparison purposes.
The following summarizes the USA standings internationally as posted in the Washington Post at 9:00 am CT on 10/13/21 (based on Hopkins data and state websites) (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?itid=sf_coronavirus_sn_mapping-spread-new-coronavirus_2). Note: 100K means 100,000.
Out of over 200 countries, the USA has the:
- 33rd highest reported average daily new cases per 100K population in the last 7 days
- USA = 160/100K (Germany = 61/100K; Norway = 57/100K; Britain = 338/100K)
- West Bank & Gaza are the highest with 752/100K
- The USA lies between Malaysia, Costa Rica, Grenada and Belarus
- 10th highest total reported cases per 100K population
- USA = 13,530/100K (Germany = 5,215/100K; Norway = 3,639/100K; Britain = 12,374/100K)
- Montenegro is the highest rate with 21,857/100K
- The USA lies between Slovenia, Israel, Lithuania, and Luxembourg
Out of over 200 countries, the USA has the:
- 31st highest daily reported deaths per 100K population in last 7 days
- USA = 3.1/100K (Germany = 0.4/100K; Norway = 0.2/100K; Britain = 1.0/100K)
- Grenada is the highest with 16.1 deaths/100K
- The USA lies between Latvia, Mongolia, Albania, and Cuba
- 19th highest total reported deaths per 100K population
- USA = 218/100K (Germany = 114/100K; Norway = 16/100K; Britain = 207/100K)
- Peru is the highest with 614/100K
- The USA is tied with Italy and lies between Mexico, Slovenia, Croatia, and Tunisia.
Out of over 200 countries, the USA has the
- 43rd highest percentage of people fully vaccinated per 100K
- USA = 56.5% of population fully vaccinated (Germany = 65.4%; Norway = 69.1%; Britain = 67.7%)
- Malta has the highest percentage (96.0%)
- The USA lies between Ecuador, Sri Lanka, Czechia and Turkey in the percentage of the population that is fully vaccinated
- It’s hard to tell if numbers are as good as they look. Typically, the number of new cases on the dashboard includes those reported through 1:00 pm of the previous day, and Tuesday’s numbers have data from Saturday and Sunday (there are no updates on Saturday and Sunday). Today the SDDOH tweeted that today’s dashboard only reflects numbers for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Therefore, data reported on Tuesday before 1:00 pm do not appear to be included in this week’s numbers.
- K-12 and higher ed data were not updated as of 2 pm on 10/13/21.
Brookings County (highest level of spread)
- 5,029 total cases: 47 new cases this week (high spread) vs. 63 in the previous week:
- 25% were under 20 years of age (vs. 29% last week)
- 34% were 20-39 years (vs. 41% last week)
- 30% were 40-59 years (vs. 16% last week)
- 11% were 60 years or older (vs. 14% last week)
- Since September 29th, the largest percentage increase in the percentage of cases have been in the 0-9 year (7% increase, n=17) age group. However, the largest increases in the number of cases have been in the 20-29 year age group (n=22) and the 30-39 year age group (n=20).
- 152 active cases (210 last week)
- Test positivity (PCR) this past week was 4.3% compared to 6.9% last week. Ideally, you want this below 5%, and the lower, the better. A high percentage indicates there are likely many more cases out there – get tested if you have been exposed or have symptoms.
- There were no new hospital admissions among Brookings County residents reported on the dashboard in the past week compared to 5 in the previous week (total = 153). Brookings Hospital currently has 2 COVID hospitalized patient. In Sioux Falls, Avera has 37 COVID-occupied beds (11 ICU) and Sanford has 66 (17 ICU).
- There were no new deaths among Brookings County residents reported on the dashboard this past week compared to 1 death last week (total = 38).
- The percentage of people fully vaccinated did not increase much this past week, with 45% of Brookings County fully vaccinated vs. 45% of South Dakotans (similar percentages as last week).
South Dakota (highest level of spread)
- 149,337 cases: 2,342 new cases this week vs. 2,449 in the previous week:
- 24% were under 20 years of age (vs. 24% last week)
- 30% were 20-39 years (vs. 31% last week)
- 24% were 40-59 years (vs. 23% last week)
- 22% were 60 years or older (vs. 22% last week)
- 6,089 active cases (6,735 last week)
- Test positivity (PCR) this past week was 14.0% – similar to 14.0% last week. Ideally, you want this below 5%, and the lower, the better.
- 115 people were admitted to in-state hospitals this week vs. 136 last week:
- 3% were aged less than 20 years (vs. 5% last week)
- 17% were 20-39 years (vs. 15% last week)
- 21% were 40-59 years (vs. 21% last week)
- 58% were 60 years of age and older (vs. 59% last week)
- 207 people currently hospitalized vs. 221 hospitalized last week (60 currently in the ICU vs. 66 last week)
- 2,177 deaths: 10 deaths reported this week vs. 34 in the previous week:
- 1 was 20-39 years
- 1 were 40-59 years
- 8 were 60 years of age and older
- 45.43 million cases: 649,967 new cases this week vs. 726,375 in the previous week
- 737,589 total deaths: 12,861 deaths this week vs. 13,506 in the previous week
- 239.4 million cases: 2.88 million cases this week vs. 3.04 million in the previous week
- 4.88 million deaths: 50,171 deaths this week vs. 52,529 in the previous week